Air quality and acid deposition impacts of local emissions and transboundary air pollution in Japan and South Korea
Publication in refereed journal

香港中文大學研究人員
替代計量分析
.

其它資訊
摘要Numerous studies have reported that ambient air pollution, which has both local and long-range sources, causes adverse impacts on the environment and human health. Previous studies have investigated the impacts of transboundary air pollution (TAP) in East Asia, albeit primarily through analyses of episodic events. In addition, it is useful to better understand the spatiotemporal variations in TAP and the resultant impact on the environment and human health. This study aimed at assessing and quantifying the air quality impacts in Japan and South Korea due to local emissions and TAP from sources in East Asia - one of the most polluted regions in the world. We applied state-of-thescience atmospheric models to simulate air quality in East Asia and then analyzed the air quality and acid deposition impacts of both local emissions and TAP sources in Japan and South Korea. Our results show that similar to 30 % of the annual average ambient PM2.5 concentrations in Japan and South Korea in 2010 were contributed to by local emissions within each country, while the remaining similar to 70 % were contributed to by TAP from other countries in the region. More detailed analyses also revealed that the local contribution was higher in the metropolises of Japan (similar to 40 %-79 %) and South Korea (similar to 31 %-55 %) and that minimal seasonal variations in surface PM(2.5 )occurred in Japan, whereas there was a relatively large variation in South Korea in the winter. Further, among all five studied anthropogenic emission sectors of China, the industrial sector represented the greatest contributor to annual surface PM2.5 concentrations in Japan and South Korea, followed by the residential and power generation sectors. Results also show that TAP's impact on acid deposition (SO42- and NO3-) was larger than TAP's impact on PM2.5 concentrations (accounting for over 80 % of the total deposition), and that seasonal variations in acid deposition were similar for both Japan and South Korea (i.e., higher in both the winter and summer) Finally, wet deposition had a greater impact on mixed forests in Japan and savannas in South Korea. Given these significant impacts of TAP in the region, it is paramount that cross-national efforts should be taken to mitigate air pollution problems across East Asia.
出版社接受日期23.07.2019
著者Yim S.H.L., Gu Y., Shapiro M., Stephens B.
期刊名稱Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics
出版年份2019
月份10
卷號19
期次20
出版社European Geosciences Union (EGU) / Copernicus Publications
頁次13309 - 13323
國際標準期刊號1680-7316
電子國際標準期刊號1680-7324
語言美式英語

上次更新時間 2021-09-01 於 01:58