Effectiveness of Vertebroplasty for Osteoporotic Collapse in Pain Control and Mobility Status
Refereed conference paper presented and published in conference proceedings


Full Text

Other information
AbstractIntroduction: Osteoporotic vertebral collapse is common in elderly people. Pain acquired from such collapse not only causes local symptoms but often affects daily living, mobility status and increased morbidities. Recent studies have shown that vertebroplasty may be an effective way for pain control and enhance progress in earlier mobilisation.

Methods: Patients were traced from April 2012 to March 2017, admitted for low back pain but with minimal improvement despite repeated physiotherapy sessions and analgesics. Patients with any neurological symptoms, underlying infection, suspected tumour, etc were excluded. After operation, the patients were reviewed before discharge and at intervals to review pain control and mobility status. Secondary outcomes included length of hospital stay, need for continued physiotherapy, re-admission rate and any complications. These patients were compared with control group who did not receive any operative treatment but only physiotherapy and analgesics.

Results: Six patients were included in the treatment group. All were found pain-free within 3 days after vertebroplasty. In all, 66% returned to premorbid mobility status while the remaining 34% showed improvement in mobility status as compared to just after injury. When compared with the controls, length of hospital stay and re-admission rate were lower but there was no significant difference in need for continued physiotherapy.

Conclusion: Vertebroplasty is an effective treatment in improving the mobility status and pain control and should be considered in all patients with osteoporotic vertebral collapse non-responsive to repeated physiotherapy sessions and analgesics.
All Author(s) ListMML Li, KO Kwok, TP Lam
Name of ConferenceHong Kong Orthopaedic Association 37th Annual Congress 2017
Start Date of Conference04/11/2017
End Date of Conference05/11/2017
Place of ConferenceHong Kong
Country/Region of ConferenceHong Kong
Proceedings TitleThe Proceedings of the Hong Kong Orthopaedic Association 37th Annual Congress 2017
Year2017
Month11
Place of PublicationHong Kong
Pages130 - 130
LanguagesEnglish-United Kingdom

Last updated on 2018-08-06 at 15:08