Allele-Specific Conventional Reverse-Transcription Polymerase Chain Reaction as a Screening Assay for Discriminating Influenza A H1N1 (H275Y) Oseltamivir-Resistant and Wild-Type Viruses
Publication in refereed journal


Times Cited
Web of Science6WOS source URL (as at 22/09/2021) Click here for the latest count
Altmetrics Information
.

Other information
AbstractIn early 2008, a sudden increase in oseltamivir (Tamiflu (R))-resistant influenza A H1N1 viruses was reported from several European countries. This resistant virus has spread globally and accounted for more than 95% of H1N1 viruses isolated in the following influenza season. A continuous close monitoring on the prevalence of this resistant virus is necessary to rationalize the choice of antiviral agents. The resistance of this novel strain to oseltamivir is conferred by an amino acid substitution from histidine to tyrosine at position 275 (H275Y) of the neuraminidase protein. This study developed and evaluated allele-specific conventional reverse-transcription polymerase chain reaction (cRT-PCR) assays to provide a simple, rapid, and low-cost option for discriminating oseltamivir-resistant influenza A H1N1 (H275Y) mutant from wild-type viruses. The evaluation was based on 90 nasopharyngeal aspirate specimens collected before, during the initial phase and at the peak of emergence of resistance. Thirty-six (40%) of these specimens were H275Y mutant, whereas the other 54 (60%) were wild-type viruses as confirmed by sequencing of the neuraminidase gene. When applied directly on the 90 nasopharyngeal aspirate specimens, the allele-specific cRT-PCR assays achieved an unequivocal discrimination for 82 (91%) specimens. Further improvement in performance is expected when applied to cell culture isolates with a higher viral titer. These allele-specific cRT-PCR assays can be a simple, low-cost option for large-scale screening of influenza isolates. J. Med. Virol. 82:1295-1298, 2010. (C) 2010 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
All Author(s) ListNgai KLK, Lam WY, Lee N, Leung TF, Hui DSC, Chan PKS
Journal nameJournal of Medical Virology
Year2010
Month8
Day1
Volume Number82
Issue Number8
PublisherWiley: 12 months
Pages1295 - 1298
ISSN0146-6615
eISSN1096-9071
LanguagesEnglish-United Kingdom
Keywordsallele specific; H274Y; H275Y; neuraminidase inhibitor; rapid diagnosis; resistance; screening
Web of Science Subject CategoriesVirology; VIROLOGY

Last updated on 2021-22-09 at 23:55